Tuesday, February 28, 2006

Mann. Die Deutschen Mir Up Gecracken.


(Pigeon German for: "Man. The Germans Crack Me Up." Otherwise known as, “Ich denke daß die Deutschen lustig sind,” if you want to be boring.)

You are all so damned cosmopolitan and pop-culture literate, so you probably all have heard of this little gem. I am still catching up with The Last Laugh (1924), so I admit that I am not as German film literate as I probably should be. However, I have discovered a film that brought me real joy.

If you have not yet seen Enlightenment Guaranteed (2000), you should. Particularly if you love (a) Religious-Studies-type entertainment, (b) Germans, or (c) Buddhists. Or any combination thereof.

Truly ausgezeichnet! Ausgezeichnet like ausgezeichnet was going out of style.

Two brothers, each with his own oh-so-German personality quirks, decide to find their center in a Zen monastery in this fall-down-funny German/Buddhist answer to The Blair Witch Project. With production values so cheap it could be a Canadian film, this movie still packs a wallop. As a colleague pointed out to me, this is the true lost in translation story.

So funny. So painful to watch. So bloody German!

Heute benötigte ich diesen Film. Ein Grund deutsche Lektionen zu beachten. Schließlich! (Neben Triumph des Willens, bedeute ich.) Es holte mir Aufklärung. Big time.

Die Deutschen: Könige der Komödie!

3 comments:

H. said...

And, yes, I know my German sucks. No need to leave lengthy Duden-type lectures.

Catherine- I'm looking at you when I say that.

Catherine said...

Hey - I'm in no place to criticize your deutchschreiben. See? I bet there are at least 2 misspellings in that word, and the grammar's probably effed. Danke schoen, Herr Zimmermann.

H. said...

Guten Morgen, Fraulein Catherine. Wie gehts?

I'm so damned multilingual, I even impress myself.

Powered By Blogger