Thursday, February 09, 2006

I Can’t Focus… I Mean I LITERALLY Can’t Focus.


All you Mac alum, you may remember that I had myself a little accident a while back when a piece of flaming cigarette paper flew into my eye? Yes, well, it sort of happened again today. I mean, not so bad, as this time it didn’t stick and melt eye-ball flesh or anything, but I am pretty sure it is still in there. And now that eye only sees blurs, and I can’t adjust my focal length.

Do you suppose that’s a bad sign?

In any case, it’s a pain in more ways than one, as right now I am not able to hit the keyboard very easily. It’s more like wildly mashing the keys with my palm and hope it works out.

Man, if anything can go wrong, huh?

However, other than that, it’s been an OK day. I may have a lead on getting some of my writing out to the public (very good), and I have been asked to MC the IAC conference in March. I also got my choice of presentation dates for ritual studies, and so it looks like my two seminars and two speaking engagements in late March will actually be able to coexist, after all.

Also, my class tonight was a bit of a boner as we still didn’t get around to discussing any readings, but we also had a guest lecturer in, and she was phenomenal!

And that’s not even the best part…

Here at Laurier, I have three committee members: My head advisor (a Jewish identity specialist), my current ritual studies prof (a specialist in performance and religion & the arts), and a third, from the Anthropology Department. I had never met this third, and, though I had emailed her in September or October, I had never heard from her. My advisor, I seem to recall, didn’t even know her. Anyway, you can see why this was making me nervous, and I was contemplating changing the arrangement in April.

However, this phenomenal guest speaker was none other than the mysterious third. She’s wonderful! I’d say no more than five years older than myself, Brazilian (yes, and hip as that sounds), and she does ethnicity/racial/national issues as seen in the samba at Brazil’s Carnival! Pretty damned hot stuff, eh? And perfect for me.

Further, when we got into questions of theory and how to apply it, her defense of grounded and practical theory selection was exactly complimented my own! It’s like a match made in heaven… Or in Rio, at least.

So, in sum, one happy camper. So I think there shall be no change there… However, maybe my ritual studies prof would like his freedom to retire in peace, so maybe I’ll rethink that corner.

Yes, my time at Laurier keeps looking better and better.

Everybody, Samba!!!

No comments:

Powered By Blogger