Friday, November 11, 2005

Egg Nog, Tornadoes, and Poppies, Mon.


I sit here getting ready to get back to my stack of marking while sipping on the year’s fist appearance of Egg Nog. Is it me, or does the fact that they only sell it for two months smack of speculation? I’m not a Christian, so I don’t need Farmer’s Dairy to make my Christmas special… Just let me have Egg Nog for the winter, at least. That’s all I ask.

However, for now I have it and I won’t think of how annoying it is when they jerk it away after New Year’s.

Also, as no one died, I can get a smile over the fact that, mere months after I and my closest friends got out of the joint, Hamilton (Ontario) has been hit by a small tornado. Not that I wish the people of that city real harm, but I enjoy the fact that nature hates that place as much as I.

I can’t help but feel that the storm was born out of the collective will of those of us who have escaped its gloom and horror.

Further, it is Remembrance Day, and I am wallowing in good, old-fashioned Red and White pride. Sometimes, you just have to glow about the fact that you’re a Canadian. Especially today; aside from refreshing a fading grasp on the history of WWI, we remember that Canada fought to liberate Europe from the Nazis a full two years before the US felt personally obligated to declare war. (On Japan, that is. Remember that the US never declared war on Germany. Rather, Germany declared war on them, on December 11, 1941.)

So, in light of all this gastronomic and personal satisfaction, I am, surprisingly (after my post last night), in a fairly good mood. I have a whole weekend to get TA work done, write a rough draft of a small paper, get some minutes typed up from the last R&C society meeting, and get some outline notes done for my November 29th seminar on Rastafarianism- a tradition for which I am gaining a growing admiration and affection.

That sounds like a lot, actually, but it’s all stuff that can be done with little pain on my end. Ah, yes… I think I can see December 17th from here…

2 comments:

H. said...

Alternative title for this post:
"Blog Nog."

Couldn't fit R.D. in there, though...

"Blog Nog and Tanks", maybe?

H. said...

But no one brought a rifle.

That's important.

Powered By Blogger