Monday, December 11, 2006

Imagine a World Void of Worship

... You are now entering the Secularization Zone.

Today, and for the next week, comp books are all focusing on the once-popular Secularization Theory, now also known as the Secularization Myth by the Antis.

This Theory/Myth is based on the post-Enlightenment idea that religion will gradually just disappear as education, science, rationality, assimilation and consumerism all do their work. However reasonable this belief may have seemed in the 60s when it started, the political feel of the 80s, and certainly today's political climate, seems to blow it out of the water.


This week, I wade into the shoals of argument between some of the heavy hitters of the Secularization Debate (Berger, Casanova, Bruce, and Stark & Finke). Ultimately, my department wants me to come up with a well-structured argument for which side I come down on. Me, I'm not so good at taking sides really, but since my gut reaction to the Secularization Theory is "hogwash," I guess that gives me something to start with.

Today's reading: The Sacred Canopy, by Peter L. Berger, one of the canonical texts for the Pros.

I'll keep you posted.
*

2 comments:

running42k said...

Given the results of the last two presidential elections and the last federal election up here, it doesn't appear that religion is taking a back seat. Incorporate the political might in other countries, i.e. Islamic republics and the political sway of Orthodox Jews in Israel, and the theory looks full of shit, at least in the contemporary context.

Something I thought of while writing this, the issue of homosexual marriage has been a rallying point for the Christian right in the last few elections. Perhaps this is an element that you can explore.

H. said...

You are spot-on. Thanks.

Now you see why "hogwash" came to mind?

Powered By Blogger