Sunday, December 17, 2006

Heat and the CBC


Today is projected to be the hottest December day in recorded history in Ontario. Toronto will likely go to 15, and we are at about 12. I must admit it is scary to wear a t-shirt and cardy at 9am down to the corner store on December 17th, and break a sweat. Today seems like a day to get outside a bit, methinks. These legs could use a stretch.

However, while you enjoy the heat, take a moment to remember the polar bears, upon whose graves we are enjoying this weather.

(And when you light up that murdered tree, as well, I could say, but that wouldn't be very festive, would it?)

***

I am listening to the CBC right now, to an interview with historian Jan Gross, author of Neighbours. He is talking of his newest book Fear: Anti-Semitism in Poland After Auschwitz.

Gross' books are always worth a read, if for no other reason than the fact that they almost always kick up a (expletive deleted) storm. Though people have accused him of anti-Polish bias, his work seeks to bring to light the role of non-Jewish people other than Germans in the Holocaust. While many Poles did help Jews during the War, many also offended, and it helps no one to make idols of evil out of the Germans alone. I suspect that the truth lays somewhere between the common demonizing German exceptionalism and heated belief in full Polish collaboration, but it is always important to open the mind to as many angles as possible. And Jan Gross makes a good and horrible read at the same time, and I can't wait to get my hands on this book.

So, Santa, if you are listening to the lists of Jews this year (which I think you should consider in order to help counter-act all the nasty going on in Iran right now), this book is my wish. In one of my socks or under my ficus plant. Your choice, big guy.

On a bright note: things are going to get a whole lot less lonely very soon.

*

1 comment:

running42k said...

The Poles have a long history with the Jews, most of it unpleasant.

Powered By Blogger