Friday, June 16, 2006

Trying Hard to Put My Ducks in a Row (But Not Count My Chickens)


As puffed up as a lord tonight. Got a fantastic response to something very daring today… I am not sure if it will all come through, but just hearing editors describe my stuff as “cutting-edge” and “original” gives me a thrill.

Will light a candle to Raphael Patai tonight, and hope for the best.

And, finally, the Jack Benny work seems to have been good for something, after all. And this one far exceeds the value of the Sheboygan debacle.

However, it was enough to be able to tell the Advisor I am making headway in life.

I felt so good, I pressed my luck and applied for a book review assignment at a journal.

There, that was the gush. Now for the anguish.

I am PILED with stuff to get through. I have been reading the “How to get a Job in Academics” handbook, and the "Guide to a successful PhD program"… This does not really help my nerves, but it spurs me on.

Publish [& present] or perish! Sleep is for the weak!

Four papers to prepare for various submissions, another conference to apply to, and still with the comp reading. Oh, and those pesky RA duties, which keep slipping my mind. (I blame that Nuremberg Interviews book… That thing has sucked all my attention away for the past week.)

Not to mention, of course, the SSHRC applications and dissertation proposal, of which my Advisor reminds me as often as she can. (This I do not mind – I fancy myself in a space capsule, and they are my trusty Houston crew, urging me on and warning of core meltdowns, etc.)

Good thing the cohort cancelled the BBQ (aka “Animal Cremation Ceremony”), or it would have been suicide for me again, I am afraid.

Ever behind. This is me. I shall laugh about this when I am famous… Or people can at least cluck over it at my funeral.

I guess I know what my weekend holds.

3 comments:

hemlock said...

Oh the joys.

I've been pretty relaxed in doing my M.Sc., but I'm crunching now!!!

Sleep is for the weak... nice.

hemlock said...

Pea Ess: (how fun!), I just read the info on your 'geocities' site. Super fascinating.

Glad you dropped by my blog.

H. said...

Ha ha! That Geocities thing is the biggest push towards self-promotion I could possibly make right now, being that i have a weak CV, not much experience, and very little rep in the biz.

Oh well - it's all about making the most of what you got, and selling, selling, selling yourself.

Powered By Blogger