Tuesday, May 24, 2005

Opps, I forgot to be Mindful…

May 20, 2005
By the by, I am in love! I found a new cinematic heartthrob in Star Wars, Episode III. For those of you who doubt that any good can come from George Lucas’ recent money grab (and after Episodes I and II this is almost understandable), I urge you to open your minds and see this film. Revenge of the Sith is ten times better than I and II, with many more laughs, a darker feel, and a sense of fun found in the original trilogy. (No Major Spoilers Ahead).

In truth, there are some traces of sloppy editing, and a moment or two of a “Haven’t we done this before?” feeling (I HATE Destroyer Droids). There also is some awful writing hidden around the edges of Anakin’s scenes with Padme (to be expected, I suppose). All of these weaknesses can be forgiven in light of the general quality of the film in other respects. The special effects are, in most cases, invisible, the acting quite good (even Hayden Christiansen), and the story truly engaging. As well, didn’t we all want to see Anakin’s down fall? Aren’t we all happy to see Padme getting wrinkles? (Sorry, catty moment there).

I am not the world’s most fervent Star Wars fan (I am, I admit, a Trekker for life), but this film left me excited and very happy that I went. My only real quibble was that, for utilitarian reasons, the final half-hour was telegraphed, and Lucas spent a fair length of time wrapping it up so that it would in line with A New Hope. However, this was a necessary evil, and that Frankenstein homage almost made it entirely worth it! Further, Ewan MacGregor, always a favourite with me, nearly BECOMES Alec Guiness, and, by himself, makes this film a pleasure to see.

Happy viewing, and may the force be with all of us.

No comments:

Powered By Blogger