Saturday, May 14, 2005

Ich bin ein Blogger!!

Yes, today I am ready to come out! I have done it! I have mastered adding links to my sidebar! Yes, my life is going to hell, I have a mysterious white patch on my belly that I am convinced is either cancer or an alien implant, and my quest to quit smoking has been blocked by my ingrained depressive impulses, but today I accomplished one insignificant short term goal! Yippee!
Oh, and if you look at these links, you'll notice that my profile is now up on the WLU PhD students site. It's official- I am now a Laurier PhD student! They can't take it back, even when they meet me.
I think that maybe you now want to know what I do. Well, as you know I don't have a job (see job bank link), but I am in between gigs as a student. I was an MA student in Ancient Jewish religion at McMaster, but I finished (good news is I got a degree, bad news is I finished my funding). Then for a year I was a TA and unionist here at Mac (see CUPE 3906 link), while I took a year to study film. Now, starting in September I will be frantically chasing a PhD in religion and culture, for which I will be studying the image of Jews in film. I know, "Jews in film?", you ask- no Jews have ever appeared in or made a film, right? Well, may be Jesus...
The reason I do this project is, first, that I'm a Jew. Second, I wanna watch movies for a living. Third, when I was a kid growing up in a little town in Nova Scotia (not a hubb of Jewish life, I assure you), all the kids I went to school with communicated with me in terms of TV or movie Jews. So, I guess, my whole teenage life was research for what I'm doing now. I just don't know what I'm gonna prove, except that SCHINDLER'S LIST was based in reality (but a freaky version of it), and that THE NANNY is not a reflection of true Jewish womanhood.
Oy!

No comments:

Powered By Blogger