Saturday, May 21, 2005
6.20pm
Well, the spring book sale is over, and I have made out like a bandit! Today, in what appears to be their custom, the library book sale folks let people buy books by the grocery-bag-full for one dollar a bag, in order to clear up the inventory before shutting down. Thus, if one can imagine such a thing, those books that you wouldn’t buy for $2 each, you can now, with creative bag stuffing, make 20 cents each. Super! A frenzy of skinflint bibliophiles groping every where- it was a mad house. (I hear three secretaries were killed near the Danielle Steele section.) Further, as they are already bagged when you approach the staff, you don’t have to look someone in the eyes as you buy an old bio of Barbra Streisand, or some such. I spent about ten dollars down town today, and now have about 16 new books (including a brand new- never before read- copy of Conversations with Greta Garbo for about 20 cents!), and both Radio Days and Bananas on VHS (Screaming Mimi’s was also having a sale). All in all, a happy hunting excursion.
Now I am snuggly ensconced back at home, with my cat and remotes, and plan a long night of viewing. Umm, I may be unemployed, but, as long as I can afford to pay my power bill, Woody Allen won’t abandon me.

No comments:
Post a Comment