Tuesday, May 24, 2005

Notes from a Confirmed Recluse

Friday, May 20, 2005
Writing from home today, so that I can cut and paste when next I get near a comp.

I am having a completely-indoor-day, with absolutely not one toe leaving the apartment. Every day this week, I have spent at least two hours in Hamilton’s famous down town core, so I need some time to decontaminate in my controlled, hidden and non-grungy (or at least less grungy) environment. Hamilton’s down town, for those who have not experienced this particular delight, is situated in one of the worst shopping districts known to the civilized world, replete with bums, pogey-gatherers and punks, and is completely half-way-house adjacent. All the comforts of Leavenworth, or possibly Beirut (if that were to come down in the world). It is probably the most depressing place that I have ever seen, and, I hope, I ever will be in again. Misery drips from the awnings, and floats around the streets like the clouds of stink that always hovers over this city. The real depressing thing is, so many of the people who live in Hamilton don’t even know that this is not how humans should live.

I’m not saying Hamilton should be burnt to the ground or anything, just wiped down with a strong chloride solution.

Thus, I have closeted myself away for the day, and not even the idea that My Autobiography may be lurking on a book sale table, waiting for me, can get me out of here today. I will catch up on the hours of new movies I have bought (CHEAP as dirt) in second hand places and sales over the last months, and hope for better things. When all else fails, I remind myself that, come the last day of August, I will be leaving this place that happiness forgot. I don’t even care to where I will move, as I no longer fear any location that the life of an itinerant student may take me.

Maybe next time I’ll be in a better mood. (But I wouldn’t hold my breath.)

No comments:

Powered By Blogger