I woke up with some sort of stomach thing that kind of ruined my morning, but I got over it. I did some book promo stuff, which was all fine, and then I fixed my library privilege issue, which is great.
THEN, I get an email... My heavens, such an email. A school in the States wants to interview little ol me for a Real Tenure Track Job!
They said, specifically - if you are in town for such-n-such conference, we could easily meet up there. OR (as we know not everyone will be able to go), we can do phone interview just as easily.
I sat there for a good two minutes, absolutely stunned. I have never gotten this far in a real job search. This position, though extremely well-suited to my education and research interests, is really about five years out of my league. I was thrilled. Terrified. Shocked.
But ecstatic. This is real progress, folks!
So, I email my ex-advisor with the news, and she promptly informs me that if I don't go to the conference, I've lost it from the start, because if I take the phone option I will not get the job.
...
So, deflated, I pretty much lost all excitement within 20 minutes of that e-mail. There is no way I can afford to travel to the States, and knowing that the phone interview is likely a waste of time did not help me.
BUT, I start to think... Hey, the guy said either way was fine, so I'm going to take that as his word, and do what I can. Yes, the in-person people will have an edge, but I am also perfect for the job (minus the one to five years of teaching experience most people have before they are even considered for a tenure track job). I'm personable, and, frankly, in-person is not always a bonus if you are not great looking or well dressed or a seasoned travellor, right?
She has her point, but I am going to assume I am not yet licked.
And, in any case, this really is progress that I managed to survive the first round of cuts and got this far. This is Big News.
So, I start to bring myself out of it all. And I call my mum, and she agrees this is very exciting. And I ask her about her day.
My dad is in hospital tonight. He got another windpipe obstruction, so they are removing it and doing some sort of procedure to widen his windpipe. And tests for throat cancer.
So...
Yes.
It's been quite a day.
Hoping for the best on all accounts.

2 comments:
The phone interview sounds fine, especially given the distances involved.
I certainly hope you get it but if you don't, at least you get experience in a job interview in your field (never a bad thing) and get the chance to make an impression and network.
Good luck
You're likely very right. I know, personally, I would not hold it against an applicant for not being able to make a casual interview from another country with two weeks' notice.
I know it logically.
But I also know those people who make casual, personal contact will have a natural edge, one I can't really afford to concede b/c I am also very new to the business. sigh.
Oh well - they said webcam is also an option, so maybe that can help close the gap a little.
It just makes me feel down to get so close and have this handicap. :(
But, thanks - I hope you are correct. :)
Post a Comment