Monday, June 07, 2010

Discouraged

I'm working on a teaching application for a course that would totally save my butt, since the pay/job would start this summer instead of next fall (July, I am assuming). It also comes with three subsequent terms of guaranteed employment, making it just about as much of a plum as one can get in the temp prof world. It's in religion and pop culture, which is right up my alley, and an online course to boot, which would be great for child care, etc. All signs point to this being *perfect* for me... but those same signs make it perfect for the other sharks in the tank.

Two full-PhDs that I know of, who also research in this area, work temp teaching in my dept - both with books published and about a decade of teaching experience, each. Another guy (who doesn't yet have his PhD) is also in this area, is the student of the dept chair, and has already taught a course - he is also one of those Golden People to whom everything comes easily. So, I, with my new PhD but no teaching experience (and no book), come in at least fourth - that I know of, as I don't know exactly how big the hiring pool will be.

To be clear here, I am not blaming these candidates, as they too have kids to feed. It just stinks that the economy today forces new PhDs to compete for temp jobs with people who should be chasing tenure and not piddly term contracts. But, c'est la vie, right?

The tank is just too crowded.

The net result - I am tired and considering not even applying, just so I can go to bed and save myself the frustration/humiliation of being rejected on top of the exhaustion of staying up all night working on this when I have six or seven other (slightly more likely) job apps to do this week. But if I didn't even apply I would seriously kick myself, as not applying is a sure way to make sure I don't get the job.

But, then, so will doing a crappy job on the app because I know, deep in my heart, I will not get this assignment. If any of these three people want this course (and I know at least one does), I will not stand a chance.

Man, I hate playing with the deck stacked against me.

What's the use?

No comments:

Powered By Blogger