Saturday, June 11, 2005

Cinderella Man Double or Triple Feature

I am trying a new gimmick with my reviews- a recommendation for companion works with whatever picture I am reviewing. Let me know if you like it, and it can become a regular feature.

For Cinderella Man, I have several recommendations (for when it comes out on DVD). If your theme is family depression, try this picture with De Sica's The Bicycle Thief (1948), an excellent Italian classic about a man trying to hold life and limb together. If your theme is the Great Depression, Ford's The Grapes of Wrath (1940) would be the obvious choice, but also try Chaplin's Modern Times (1935). If your theme is boxing, you could go for Raging Bull (1980), but may I suggest Chaplin's City Lights (1931, you'll see what I mean). Further, if your theme is the fall of a titan's career, then you can't go wrong with Chaplin's Limelight (1952). For a good sports movie combo, try Pride of the Yankees (1942), Slap Shot (1977) or Rudy (1993). For a companion Crowe film, try The Insider (1999), or his other sports movies- Gladiator (2000), or Mystery, Alaska (1999- a not outstanding, but serviceable picture exploring many of the same issues). Of course, a side order of Jimmy Stewart/ Frank Capra would be great- try Mr. Smith Goes to Washington (1939). For a documentary chaser, try Pare Lorentz’s pro-FDR The River (1938). I WOULD NOT, in good conscience, recommend the Rocky pictures, for any reason.

For an oddball pairing, for some reason The Cooler (2003) strikes me as working well.

Happy viewing (and let me know how it turns out)!

6 comments:

LaTina said...

i think slapshot and mystery, alaska work well together... but maybe that's just because i love both these movies... and hockey.

H. said...

I'm glad to hear someone else likes Mystery, Alaska. It's not profound, but it is a really good couple of hours.
I'm not a sports fan, generally, but I must confess a soft spot for hockey, as well. I think they kick you out of Canada if you don't...

LaTina said...

:)

people think i'm crazy because i hate the cold, i live in the south, and love hockey... and not just for the fights. it's the only sport i watch. everything else it too slow.

H. said...

Yes, I too bless the speed of Hockey- as well as the fact that you can get a full game in an hour or two (much better than three hours of watching some guys stand out in a field).
Also, it has a lovely look- all that white and blue ice. Hockey movies are great that way, seconded by football because mud is a wonderfully cheap set dressing!

LaTina said...

amen, sistah!

H. said...

I took a look at your blog- I can follow the Adam Sandler movies, but am unsure about the Rob Schneider (spelling?) flicks.
Another of my guilty secrets: I really liked _Little Nicky_.

Powered By Blogger