Saturday, June 11, 2005

Misanthropy, Medicare and Other Struggles of a News Junky

A new mission- a true final frontier. I have to either think better thoughts, or stop listening to the news.

OK, I admit it. I am not the world’s kindest or most sympathetic person. I chuckle when I hear about MPs taking stress leave, and I break out in full-blown guffaws when I hear of powerful execs going down for insider crap. I enjoy the misery of others. That’s wrong and I apologize. This came into sharp relief for me when, upon hearing of a party-craft full of drunken jerks going down in a harbour, I actually smiled. When did I become this bitter? I don’t know, but I think it occurred sometime during my misguided stint in university-prep calculus.

This has led to identity confusion over where I stand in politics and society: commie or Bush?

Take, for instance, the renewed debate over public health care in this country. The Supreme Court of Canada has ruled that it goes against the Quebec Charter’s guarantee of life and liberty to make people wait for tests when they could skip the line by paying for the things themselves. This is an extraordinarily important ruling. Wait times are a major issue for Canadians. However, private care is a hotly contested issue, as the concern that such a ruling may lead to a two-tier, or even fully privatized, medical system down the line strikes fear into most Canucks.

Now, I try to be a good socially responsible person. I don’t have air conditioning or a car to avoid pollution, and I take voting VERY seriously. I’m a vegetarian and I support gay rights and social equality of the sexes and ethnic groups. I speak both French and English, and I think this is my duty as a Canadian. I also support subsidized secondary education, taxes for the rich to help the poor, and HEALTH CARE. I am absolutely amazed, still, that, in Canada, I never have to starve because I broke my leg and have to shell out for that.

However, if I am such a pinko that I embrace everyone’s rights (even for old Karla-you-know-who), why can’t I come to an opinion on this new health care issue? Why can’t I rid myself of this nagging thought that wait times DO infringe on our rights, and allowing reasonable commercial insurance to cover even the little guys might make even some middle class and lower folks happy, at least for a while? Why would I fight for the idea that same sex marriage is covered in the Canadian charter, but be able to ignore the fact that the right to health is being kicked around all the time?

Wow. I’m confused.

Now, if someone like me is this upset over this, try putting yourself in the shoes of our Fearless Leader, Mr. Paul Martin. (And yes, I WOULD like to change the title Prime Minister to Fearless Leader) This guy, richer than Croesus, and whiter than Carrot Top, has to make some serious stands on these types of issues. What does he care? He could write a check and have the Mayo brothers resurrected to check his prostate if he so desired. However, his dad, Paul Martin, Sr., was an instrumental part of getting Medicare set up in this country. Further, he has the Conservatives ready to kick him if he shirks (even though they would probably dismantle the system themselves if they could). Then there’s the NDP, ready to scoop up any scared red-liberals if the Liberal party is seen shifting too far right. He also has the taxpayers’ association to deal with if he floats too far left. Further, if he chooses to do nothing, the first ministers will all run in a dozen different directions, while Ralph Klein sells his soul to AFLAC for less than a duck. This is seriously a bad situation. If it’s bad for me, I can’t even imagine what Paul’s weekend looks like.

It makes me almost pity the poor guy. Then again, he wanted the job. I’d be satisfied with serving coffee somewhere for $7.50 an hour.

No comments:

Powered By Blogger