I had one of the worst experiences of my life last night - I think I was salt poisoned.
A minor accident occurred involving my lack of sleep, an over-zealous elbow when I was putting the salt into some rice soup, and improper water ratios. It tasted horrid, but as I am now down to my last three days' worth of rice, I was not in a position to complain. I found out later why my body was telling me not to eat something so awful.
Suffice it to say, that was as about as sick as I have ever been, and for a short time, as I was frantically trying to figure out what illness had all the symptoms I was suddenly experiencing, I wasn't so sure I would survive. Who knew that excessive salt can kill a person - as in, that day, not at 45 due to high blood pressure? So after downing about 6 bottles of water and inducing more vomiting to try to get it all out, I finally stopped feeling numb and dizzy. But it was touch and go for a bit, I think.
The moral of the story: No matter how poverty stricken you are, it is never cost efficient to eat something that has been rendered inedible. You pay for it in the end...

6 comments:
Yikes. That is somewhat scary.
It really, really was. If I had just thought, "wow, I don't feel well," and just went to bed, I am not sure I would have lived. Salt poisoning can cause seizures, heart attacks and strokes. My arms were numb, and I was buzzing awfully bad. My body tried to reject as much of it as it could, but it needed help. And lots and lots of water. Am now off salt for at least 48 hours to try to flush it all out. I am feeling better today, but am still slightly drugged feeling.
I had no idea that this could happen, but I guess it reminds us all that salt IS a chemical.
Okay, now you have me curious -- just how much salt did you use???
Jenn
I don't know exactly - I pour from the box, and usually I just add a dash, but I hadn't slept in a while, so I think I must have dumped it in. Plus, the bullion cube I used had salt, too. It was pretty harsh tasting, but I couldn't argue with it - I needed food and a nap, so I could get back to work.
COMP STRESS ALMOST KILLED ME!
I can't take much more than a dash of salt or else I get a headache for a while.
Salt is no good.
But it is so tasty.
:(
Post a Comment