I had to go into campus today - I had no choice.
There, I ran into a colleague who I like a lot, but who today got me talking on subjects that push all my fear buttons: career, comps, funding problems. My gut started to eat itself, and all I could think of was getting away and hiding. Is it any wonder I am isolating myself more and more these days?
Campus means people; people means talk; talk means panic. Best to hide, lest my anxiety overwhelm me for good.
In my panic, I even threw away my Tim's cup before I could even check to see if I won anything. What if it had been the $1000? I can only shudder to think of that.
So, I have been trying to give myself a pep talk to keep from dropping out of school right now. It is working slightly. My mindset is improving as I get re-adjusted to my den of solitude. Here no one makes me feel small or broke or doomed. Here, I can just insulate myself against any financial or academic horrors that lie in wait over the next couple of months.
But what a waste of a perfectly lovely spring day.
Bummer.
3 o'clock UPDATE: Some pasta and tea has calmed my nerves, as well as a boat load of research into external funding options, and some tasks I have been meaning to clear up. Nothing solves anxiety over school like just getting down to work. I can do this. I know I can.

2 comments:
It would be nice to win Tim's $1000 prize, but trust your instincts searching for funding. Your work is extremely valuable to the world. There are many people out there who'll readily anticipate the enlightenment you provide, knowing it will both clarify and strengthen their understanding of themselves and civilization.
(I'm sorry if my comment reads like a horoscope, but I do believe in you, Holly.)
Thanks, love. I needed that.
Post a Comment