Wednesday, March 07, 2007

In the Land of Women


It is interesting to me how companies have caught onto this blogging thing as a way to spread the word about their product or cause. Every once in a while, I get contacted by groups to help them in their new form of PR, and occasionally, I accept. Recently, because of another review I did on this blog, Warner Brother's contacted me about their upcoming film In the Land of Women (2007), which premieres this April. I have not seen this film, but I do notice a couple interesting things about it.

First, it is nice to see Adam Brody in more pictures. His turn in Thank You for Smoking (2005), though more of a brief cameo than a full-fledged role, was a high light of that gem of a movie, and I am looking forward to seeing him in more things. Do I think he really is "One of the Sexiest Men in Hollywood" as he is now being touted? No, not really - I prefer someone with a bit more miles on him, maybe. But he does have the fixin's of a bright new spot in an otherwise fairly bleak generation of young actors.

In this film, which seems to fall somewhere in the "romance/drama" category, we get the standard concept of a young man returning to his family and finding himself after something traumatic happens to him. I know, we all fear another rehash of the events surrounding the hideous Elizabethtown (2005), but I don't think this will be of that category. While assisting his elderly grandmother, Brody gets involved with the lives of a family of women, affecting each one, and then, of course, himself. If you have ever seen the odd but strangely compelling Picnic (1955), then you might get a sense of the potential in this plot.

This film is the directorial debut of Jon Kasdan, a former teeny-bopper bit player and a contributor to the beloved TV victim Freaks and Geeks (1999), so I am looking forward to seeing how so many for-young-audience performers and producers can make this vital leap to something a bit more mature, while anchored by some fairly interesting standbys like Meg Ryan and the always watchable Olympia Dukakis.

I haven't seen this picture yet, but I am happy it was brought to my attention, and I can promise you I will follow it up with a keen eye.

You can visit the Official MySpace site here, including an intro by Adam Brody to the film, and go to Rotten Tomatoes a look at the trailer and latest info.

6 comments:

AnGabreel said...

Wow, hobnobbing it with WB. I certainly hope you are getting a cheque for all this free promotion!

H. said...

A cheque? I'd work for a can of soup these days!

Catherine said...

I saw the trailer for this movie last week and I laughed through the whole thing. And not because it was laughably comedic. Because it looked laughably bad. Every image and line seemed so formulaic and contrived and shite. I wish good things for Adam Brody (who might be leaving the "cutie" and entering the "sexy" phase of his career - maybe), but I don't think accolades will come to him in this flick. The box office might not be too bad because of all those OC fans out there, but as we all know, a high box office does not a good movie make.

H. said...

oops. I guess I should have watched the trailer...

Anonymous said...

Since I'll pretty much watch whatever movie you tell me to watch, I must say the Warner Bros. know what they're doing.

H. said...

So trusting!

Powered By Blogger