Thursday, October 18, 2007

Holly's Sick Day(s) Viewing



So, I am finally feeling a bit better. My lungs are evicting the plague from my body - which is certainly unpleasant, but I am surviving. I had a nasty fever yesterday while teaching; and if you think sweating like a hog in front of 20 17-year-olds is a fun thing, then you're nuts. It was, in fact, like every high school nightmare I ever had.

But I treated myself a bit gently the past two nights. After holding myself together during the day and even getting my required tasks done, I took the evenings off to sit back and watch a few classic weepy gems.

On Tuesday night it was Frankie and Johnny (1991), which not only manages to make Al Pachino somehow sexy, but also gives a good story with decent writing. In many ways a pretty standard romance, the performances and the characters always make this one a treat. Besides, my mum loved that song when I was a kid.

Last night, I soaked in the warm bubble bath that is An Officer and a Gentleman (1982). Richard Gere at his peak, Debra Winger at her most charming; this movie is so familiar to me now, I can recite it. Besides, it has an added bonus - it's not just a romance, it also has one of the best portrayals of male bonding and inspiration ever, with the Mayo and Foley plot. Besides, anyone who's ever been to grad school finds enormous attraction to the whole "I'm going to stomp you until you DOR, candidate" routine.

"No, sir - you can kick me outta here, but I ain't gonna quit... I got nothing else..." Yup... that's PhD, alright.

Not sure what's on for tonight, but I think I should aim for the trifecta of 80s/90s romances, and hit something on the theme. Not even I can stomach Ghost (1990), so I might just go for a bit of Say Anything (1989). Mmmmmm... (young) Cusack.

Happy viewing!

No comments:

Powered By Blogger