Lordy - I am far from the fainting kind, but I nearly went on my arse today. I can only remember a handful of faints in my whole life, before now. Today, I felt it coming on me a couple times.
I was hungry, but putting off food until the dishes were done - suddenly WHOMP! I had to sit down before I was thrown down. I quickly grabbed a handy Hallowe'en sized chocolate bar and a can of cold ginger ale, and rested until I felt well enough to make lunch. That has restored me, largely, but I am still left puzzled by the reaction.
In my first trimester, I would get queasy if I got too hungry - but feeling faint after putting food off for a half hour is new to me. I am guessing it might be a combination of the outrageous heat today (36C with the humidex!) and the housework I am doing, along with the normal issues of needing to feed a growing 20-week baby, as well as myself. It seems to me, I've heard of a lot of women fainting during pregnancy, especially in the heat. However, it is a little disturbing to have it come now, when I didn't get it at all in the early months.
Anyway, I will talk to the doctor about it, and see the nutritionist on campus - maybe see if a blood test is needed. The worst case scenario is that it's a bit of prenatal hypoglycemia, I think, but no sense in self-diagnosing now. For now, I will just make sure I have food handy, and hope the temperatures go back to normal soon.

No comments:
Post a Comment