Sunday, February 11, 2007

Rots the Teeth *and* the Brain



I am enjoying my sugary gack (mockingly called cereal) for breakfast - I am reliving a childhood that never really happened, as my mum would never, ever let me eat this crap as a child. However, it does bring back fond memories of Saturday morning cartoon commercials, anyway.

So I notice this little sea creature game on the back (the cheapies now just give games, not toys, I notice with narrowed eyes).

I am concerned about the content of these games - isn't it rather harmful to be constantly giving kids those "Which one DOESN'T BELONG, kids?" activities.

Like, "OK, Billy, pick out the thing in this crowd who isn't EXACTLY like the other things, and then tell it to get out, because it isn't wanted, and DOESN'T BELONG." Suddenly, a lot of my childhood feelings of alienation and self-loathing all make much more sense now.

Also, is it just me, or do these games, with the style of their colours and font, seem like they are designed to prepare kids to play scratch and win lotto when they grow up?

Jeesh. All I wanted was some innocent cavities, but now I have an ethical dilemma and a fear for humanity's future.

Thanks a lot, Toucan Sam.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

All the seahorses look similar enough to me I can't pick which one doesn't belong. I wonder if that is the idea, to prompt the children to start looking for reasons to ostracize the seahorse, even just for the sake of ostracism. Dragging someone to the outskirts of town and to stone them to death is the way of the world.

H. said...

Well, as long as the populace is busy attacking each other, they have no time to question the ruling class.

Anonymous said...

Could it be the seahorse second from the left has a different eye color? If so, what does it suggest about the lesson it teaches the children?

H. said...

Hint: Look at the ears.

Anonymous said...

Yeah, seahorses with extra ears are freaks...

H. said...

So would that be a waste of sea-horse flesh?

Amanda said...

I originally saw the answer as being "dark colored eyes" on the one seahorse, too.

Anonymous said...

Now the question seems to be, do we ostricize the seahorse, or worship it?

Powered By Blogger