Friday, September 15, 2006

What Says, “Canada!” to You, eh?


With only six (five when you read this) more sleeps until Ohio, I am finishing up some last minute souvenir shopping for my Yank pals. Mugs and chocolate loonies abound, but I am unsure about what really says “Canada.”

Ontario wine? A canister of Tim Horton’s coffee? Maple syrup? Stompin’ Tom CD? Roots wear?

A wooden replica of the Blue Nose?

So, I put it to all my Canuck readers: What would you bring to the USA to represent this place? What says “Canada” to you?

(And, for inspiration, the pic above is me on Canada Day a few years ago, after 16 hours of work, on very little sleep and a ton of Canuck pride… How do you think the Yank border guards will like me? I plan on leaving the hat at home… as well as my “Burn, Bush, Burn” t-shirt and Cuban flag pins. Just to be on the safe side, right?)
*

11 comments:

H. said...

Oh, and yes that is a Montreal jersey I am wearing. Take THAT, Leafs!

running42k said...

Americans don't have butter tarts and nanamio bars. (It is what makes them so violent, nothing nice to have with a cup of tea or coffee) You can take them those. They are also very fond of ice wine but that can get expensive.

H. said...

Hmmm... As an Easterner, I have never had BC's favourite treat the Nanamio, either, so I would have thought of that.

I wonder how well they travel?

Anonymous said...

American's have pop tarts, and we're only violent when on TV. I've never had guns drawn on me at any time in my life, thank you very much.

H. said...

OH NO! The American's temper is up! Watch out, or he'll get violent.

Amanda said...

What a fine picture!

And while I have never had a gun drawn on me, I have had a friend who attacked a foe with a baseball bat and then went to prison for quite a while.

That seemed a little excessively violent. But I also knew some odd chracters.

H. said...

Thanks, Amanda. I have never been one to let personal dignity stand in the way of patriotism.

Catherine said...

I can't believe you've never had a naniamo bar! I don't think they're a regional thing at all. I'm from the East Coast and I've eaten sheets of those things. In fact, at M&M Meat Shops (don't worry Holls, it's not all meat) they carry awesome NBs. Too bad they don't carry the accompanying insulin needed to consume them.

H. said...

See, I gotta think that nanamio bars got some pig hoof in them somewhere. Best be safe.

running42k said...

murph, it's butter tarts, not pop tarts.

holly, you are one damn cute Canadian in that picture.

H. said...

I think pop tarts are the non-colonial American equivalent to butter tarts.

And, yes, I am one hella-cute Canadian... I think the gummyment needs to hire me for their "Happy to be a Canuck" campaign.

Look at the happiness!

Powered By Blogger