Thursday, September 07, 2006

Station Identification

Department dinner went off well last night – I made no blunders, and the new folks seem pretty OK. So, term is now underway, and comp reading and RA duties have started in earnest, and I have to admit I don’t really have much to say today, so I will keep this brief.

I have been thinking about the new controversy over the death of Steve Irwin, and I find the dilemma fascinating. The question: Can you show the death of a (white) man on TV? Where does “Life’s Work” end and “Snuff Clip” begin? Is this the TV version of that writer who wanted his collected works bound in his own skin after his death?

I’m not sure where I stand on this, but I must admit Irwin died as he lived, and I find his death a pretty cool way to go. Sure, 44 is a little young, but would we want to see a naturalist die at 98 in an old folks' home, when no one would remember him? Nah. I think he went out on a bang, and that’s pretty good.

***

On a great note, my favourite-est “student,” Murph, has finished up a pretty important project, which is making its maiden voyage today, so all good vibes and congratulations go out to him.

***

Now, back to reading. Yippee!
*

6 comments:

Catherine said...

Hear, hear on Irwin's sad demise. When the Ceeb said he died in a freak accident, I thought he was struck by lightning, or fell down a well or something. As it were, he was persuing his passion. I feel bad for his young family.

On broadcasting his death, I vote no, even though a morbid curiosity taps me on the shoulder.

H. said...

You know, his family says he would have wanted it... and I almost believe them on that.

An interesting problem.

running42k said...

I was sad to see Irwin go, but can't say I am surprised. I watched a show where he polks a king cobra in the head to get the hood released. That seems dangerous to me.

H. said...

Yeah... Kinda dangerous. But you know those Aussies!

I wonder how I'd like to go down in the saddle? While giving a lecture? While writing?

Nah... Death from laughing while watching a Chaplin flick.

Amanda said...

His family says he would have wanted what? Such a death? Or, his death footage released on the teevee?

Either way, I can kind of imagine that he'd be all for it.

H. said...

That he would have wanted it shown on TV. The ultimate animal adventure, eh?

Powered By Blogger