Sunday, September 03, 2006

Religious Studies: The Making of a Discipline


I am currently immersed in this weighty tome (Fortress Press, 1995), and I am racing against time to finish all 350 pages by Monday to keep on my schedule. Written by old school American religionist Walter H. Capps, it is a standard text on the history, trends and prevailing original ideologies in the creation of what he identifies as the tradition of Religious Studies as an academic discipline. He narrows the field of scholarly inquiry into religion to the formative questions of “What is religion?”, “Where did it originate from?,” “How can it best be described?,” and “What is the function of religion?” From Capps’ perspective, all Religious Studies can be judged on how it approaches and deals with these questions, as well as in what order of importance the questions are placed.

Capps’ history is far from an exciting read… In fact, I was tempted to toss it more than once. Further, along with being dry, it is also bladder-bustingly self-conscious and defensive about our field. Perhaps I come from a different generation, but don’t have even a glimmer of doubt that the academic study of religion is a worthy field. I also take it as a given that the multi-disciplinary nature of Religious Studies (in that economics, comparative religion, history, anthropology, philosophy, sociology, cultural studies, political science, textual studies, arts, biology, etc., all play roles in the work we do) is a strength, rather than the hidden shame that Capps makes it seem like.

Therefore, in terms of the usefulness of this book, I would recommend it if you are looking for a good account of this discipline’s history. The fact that it is on my Religious Studies field doctoral exam should give you a sense of its importance. However, if you are looking for an interesting read, look elsewhere… And if you are looking for a read that will make you feel secure about the well-being of Religious Studies in the University, I’d also find different reading matter, one that doesn’t feel quite so much like an apology for our lives and work.

Overall, this one is a downer.
*

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

way to kick of a new semester! best wishes comming at you with all your committies and proposals and such. Coming at you like ninja stars!

~Mark, not really a ninja but would rather be one right now

H. said...

This book is not really a good way to start the semester... this thing makes me feel like I am attending the funeral of my own discipline.

Come visit, soon, and bring the best wishes in person, Thor.

Powered By Blogger