Friday, January 29, 2010

Lord of the Flies in Slippers

Ventured forth to the municipal indoor baby-preschooler play park today for the first time. What a nightmare! I spent 1/3 of my time soothing tantrums, and 1/3 of my time trying to stop tot from grabbing toys from other kids or trying to stop him from exacting revenge on kids who had raided him. The other 1/3 was spent praying his calm, fun playing would last.

Meanwhile, all the other parents sat around the edges chatting while they let their kids run wild.

So, am I that over-protective? I wasn't worried about him hurting himself, and he wasn't being physically rough with others, but I was really annoyed by his social behaviour. Yes, I know he's not yet 2, but I don't want him mugging 1-year-olds for their toys. My friend with me said that that's "just what kids do." Sure, he gets stuff taken from him, and he takes from others - just relax, as that is what playing in groups is about. Really? So, I guess I shouldn't care about him being a jerk, because being a jerk is just natural, huh?

See, this is why I put very little stock in him socializing with "normal" kids today.

OK. Time to decompress and try to get some stuff done.

Not enjoying mommyhood much today.

No comments:

Powered By Blogger