I had a cat in highschool, Grace. I loved that cat more than most humans in my life. When I left for university, my mum moved back in with my dad (long story there), and took the cat with her. Then, just before I was done my first year, the cat passed away - she was pretty old, and my mum said she died quietly in the yard, and that they just found her under my dad's truck, dead.
I was devastated, but you know that these things happen, so I dealt with it.
Now, on the phone with mum today, she had this "confession." Turns out, the cat did not die peacefully, but was mauled to death by my dad's foul beast of a dog - who was not put to sleep afterwards, and went on to terrorize the family for several more years only to die in his sleep. Some justice there!
So, now, I am in mourning all over again. It's like I lost her all over again, the wound is that fresh. To find out such a good and loving cat came to such a brutal end just destroys me.
The point of this... Well, I guess mum should have told me the truth at the time, but I know she is no good at that sort of thing. However, I do wonder what the point is of telling me now, years later?
I guess it got the guilt off her chest for having lied to me, but it didn't make me feel any better to know now.
So, if you tell "little white lies," please be prepared to live with them - revealing the truth later may do something for you, but it might really hurt the person on the other end.
R.I.P., Grace - you were a fine and handsome cat, still in my heart. I miss you, Gracey.

1 comment:
:(
we had a little memorial here on sunday night for another friend's kitty, who died recently. i hope that someday (years from now, hopefully) when zoey passes, the people around me will care enough to do the same.
it really is amazing how connected we become with our pets (and i hope that the sprout, too, grows up with some fond memories of his tante's crazy kitty).
Post a Comment