Thursday, September 22, 2005

Ten Foot Tall Weirdo in a Unitard

John is having oh so much fun with his classes. One of his profs, who shall remain nameless (though that description above should clue in anyone who has met him), insists on every one talking about his or her feelings. About everything. Nothing is lectured upon- They had to read the book of Job, but never once discussed the academic implications of that book. It was all left to the students’ feelings.

Yeah- they’re nineteen. I’ll tell you their feelings: “I’m hungry.” “I’m horny.” “I want a (better) cell phone.” “When is class over?” “Uh—I was spos’ta read wha?”

After three years of teaching, I know three things:

1) Nineteen year olds don’t feel.
2) Just tell them what they bloody well should feel.
3) People pay to hear a PhD lecture, not to hear what some tart from Grimsby thinks.

This may sound harsh, but I have never been one to court popularity.

No comments:

Powered By Blogger