OK. I’m a dork. I have often admitted this. But, am I the only one excited about who may be named as Canada’s next Governor General? Sorry about such a long entry, but this is exciting stuff.
Not that I’m happy to see Adrienne Clarkson go. Despite spending problems, she’s been great. In fact, it’s been her presence, abilities and protection of arts and heritage programs that has made me excited about this matter.
For those who aren’t as up on this, the Governor General (or GG as it affectionately known) serves as the Queen’s representative in Canada. He or she is appointed by the PMO for a term of about five to nine years. Under the regulations, the GG must be bilingual and not be a current politician. This office is responsible for a great deal of diplomatic duties, for attending all sorts of official functions (such as state funerals and wreath laying ceremonies), controls certain awards, and has its own budget for the support of cultural activities. The GG also serves for the Queen at various things. Hence, a female seems symbolically best. However this is not required, and the names buzzing around to take over in September include the famous (infamous?) Joe Clark, as well as the current Lieutenant Governor of Ontario, James Bartleman. The buzz says that a Francophone is likely, and to the majority of Canadians, this automatically means Quebec, but this need not be so. The Maritimes have many Francophones, as well.
My vote? I think that having someone from the arts community is important, as this quarter is most likely to defend arts spending. Further, I would like to see someone from a different location in Canada (i.e. not Ontario), and would like someone who represents a minority, or who is from the recent immigrant experience. Thus, I have a small list of my votes for the new GG, in order of least to most preference.
10) William Shatner- Come on! This guy has to be on my list. He’s bilingual, from Quebec, is Jewish, and is about as beloved as you can get. Everyone loves this guy, with his warm humour and cheerful demeanor. Plus, we could call his office “The Bridge.” How great would it be to introduce him as, “The Governor General of Canada, Bill Shatner”? However, it could be argued he might cause some loss of respect from other nations, but, realistically, how much respect do they have for us anyway? In the end, this guy negotiated peace between the Federation and the Klingon Empire- who else could have done that?
9) Leonard Cohen- Talented poet and singer. From Montreal, Leonard is bilingual. He also has a law degree, and has seen much of the world. He’s of a good, ripe age, and is more charismatic than any Canadian has the right to be. Also, how kick-ass would it be if our GG was so f’ing cool? Old, shaved bald and dressed in black? No one would mess with us.
8) Scott Thompson- Former Kids in the Hall founding member, and bright spot in Canadian entertainment. How many of us would pay to see a guy who does a great impersonation of the Queen actually represent her? Unfortunately, I’m not sure he speaks French, and we’d have to be careful to whence we sent him, as his life style is illegal in several of the countries he’d have to visit. Why should that stop us, though? We’ve already proven ourselves game in that area.
7) Gordon Pinsent- Wonderful actor from Newfoundland. This guy is part of what you think of as “Canada”, even if you don’t know his name. A fine man with a good sense of humour, a lovely voice and a long life of good experience. However, he really isn’t a political type, and may be looking towards a well-deserved rest after a lifetime of hard work.
6) Christopher Plummer- The star of Stratford and The Sound of Music. Bright, impressive, and educated, Mr. Plummer would be a GG to reckon with. The main problem (aside from his firm status as an old white guy), is that with that accent and his proper demeanor, he might cease to be seen as a representative of the Queen, and actually become her.
5) Jian Ghomeshi- Young, hip CBC personality and musician. OK, a long shot at best. However, Jian is young, of Iranian descent, and cool- he could make younger Canadians take note of the office. He’s attractive, fun, artsy and intelligent. Further, he is bilingual and has a degree in politics. In the end, he is the best of both worlds: Hip, but in no way lacking in substance. Of how many people can you say that? Plus, wouldn’t you love to see George Bush try to pronounce that name? Further, how about bragging that our GG used to be with Moxy Fruvous and that he has met Woody Allen? He is young, though, and may be best saved for forty years before he takes this position.
4) Karen Kain- One of Canada’s most famous prima ballerinas. Poised, fashionable, respected and socially responsible, she would be someone I could admire in the position. She would also be well regarded and personable in diplomatic events, and would fight for the arts. Unfortunately, I don’t know that she is bilingual.
3) Frank McKenna- Former Premiere of New Brunswick, Frank was a point of envy for people in other provinces. Seamlessly bilingual, he was a strong and deliberate leader who supported the needs and rights of his province with extreme diligence. He would be bright, capable and dedicated. However, he’s not nearly as poised or as charismatic as either Karen Kain or Adrienne Clarkson. Plus, he's currently the ambassador to the US, so who knows what odd politics he's developed.
2) Ed Broadbent- The most successful NDP leader in history, this guy would have been a great PM. And if he’d been a Liberal, he would have been. He’s bilingual, experienced, lovable, and kind. The problem with this choice is that he retired from politics due to his wife’s recent illness, and wouldn’t take the job even if it were offered. However, I still resolved to put him on the list to express my regret that he can’t stand for the office.
1) MY TOP CHOICE: Tom Jackson- One of Canada’s greatest performance artists, and elder statesman of sorts for my generation. Attractive, Native, talented and charismatic, Tom would be a prime representative for Canadians, who I would be proud to claim. Also, Tom has shown himself to be extremely socially responsible by his consistent and long-term leadership in his Huron Carole campaign/ concert series for Canada’s food banks. He has traveled across Canada again and again, and has a calm, beautiful presence. I was fortunate enough to see him in concert in 1995, and just being in the same room with him made me feel proud and happy. What a great thing to say about your GG. However, I have heard him speak French, but have no proof that he is completely bilingual, so I may be scuttled in my campaign. In any case, he remains my top choice.
I should also note a few honorable mentions. Alex Trebek, who speaks French, would be very intimidating for people like Bush (“This guy has all the answers!”). Or David Suzuki- every thing I know about the world came from him. Ian Hanomansing would be a lovely choice (and I mean lovely). Bruce Cockburn or Margaret Atwood might be an interesting choice, as well as Roberta Bondar. Also, Bob Rae, Roy Romanow, Rick Hanson, or Buffy St. Marie would be acceptable choices for me. Also, what about Tex MacDonald? For kicks, let’s nominate, oh… let’s say Tommy Chong.
Just, please, not Preston Manning, Wayne Gretzky (or his dad), or any one that the National Post favours. That’s all I ask.
The likelihood of anyone taking my vote for anything is very small, but I thought I’d weigh in. This is not just a great opportunity to get the best possible GG, but is also a chance to see what we each think about Canada and various Canadians of note. I urge everyone to make up a similar list- what Canadians do you think could represent this country? (If you can’t come up with ten, then I suggest you give up NBC and tune into CBC).
Give it a try, and let me know who you come up with- we’ll trade lists around, and make it like a mini pop-culture lesson for Canadians! Happy listing.

2 comments:
people seriously want gretzky? that's so weird. anyway, i think he's got his hands full in phoenix, with the NHL returning in october and all.
People would have Gretzky for PM if they could.
Post a Comment