
I can barely even describe how much I hated this film. The hackneyed genre points; the shallow characters; the maudlin and murky design... That isn't even half of it. I know films claiming to be romantic comedies don't necessarily have to be the most realistic of movies, but one would appreciate the barest attempt at plausibility - yet here we see a single mother who we are expected to believe is both dedicated to her son and, at the same time, also willing to slut around with strange men and put her main source of income on the line for some underdeveloped romance. Two very mutually exclusive things, methinks.
Then you have the added bonus of maids who inexplicably break into a dance to the music that supposedly only the audience can hear, which just about made me vomit in my tea. Please, give us some benefit of the doubt as to our intelligence, Hollywood.
This thing is nearly two hours of pure, unadulterated drek. The fact that I even have to mention its title in my dissertation makes me a little ill, so I am pouring out my venom here instead of there, so as to make that mention as short as possible. What the hell did they have on Ralph Fiennes to force him into this schlock? Harrison Ford must have been busy the week they filmed this travesty.
Shame and scorn all around.

4 comments:
I saw Ghost Town last week. It was a romantic comedy done right. It wasn't saccharine, and it was smart and lovely. I think it's out soon - try to see it!
I saw Ghost Town last week. It was a romantic comedy done right. It wasn't saccharine, and it was smart and lovely. I think it's out soon - try to see it!
I saw Ghost Town last week. It was a great romantic comedy. Not cloying or garbage, but funny and charming. You might want to check it out.
Ooh! You're screening! That's why I write and write and write and nothing's coming up.
Well, I hope my comments weren't too offensive.
Post a Comment