Monday, December 31, 2007

Another Year Over

Well, after a couple of weeks off (sorta), I find myself rested up, with some long-overdue tasks completed. I am still behind on my dissertation work, but I have cleared a lot of thorns from my side. It's been a good holiday season. I'm broke as heck, but I guess that's about the norm for me.

Murph is home, at least for the baby's arrival; we have to do some more paperwork to keep him for longer. However, that isn't what we have been concentrating on - time for that fun later. For now, it's just nice to share our time together and enjoy the baby preparations. Declan continues to grow and kick the snot out of me, so I guess all is well there. The doctor is happy, so there's no major worries on that front.

So, 2007 has been quite a year, huh? On January 10, I celebrate my first wedding anniversary (trippy). (We are 32 weeks into a pregnancy, and about 50 weeks into a marriage - just for the record.) I made some new friends that seem to be sticking around, and have been sure to spend more time with some old favourites. I have also increased contact with family, which is always a good thing. My health has gotten a lot more much-needed attention, including a major reduction in vices and self-abusive sleep patterns. I have been keeping the apartment cleaner, and generally keeping my eye on the prize much more efficiently.

This past year, I also passed my two doctoral exams, won a Faculty of Arts award, defended my dissertation proposal, had my proposal accepted, started writing the thing, finalized a publication (due out in May), and presented at four conferences. I also won a research award from Brandeis, and got a pretty awesome little job for extra cash. Sure, student loans screwed me, and I also got turned down for some things I applied for, but, in the final tally, it was a good year, professionally.

In retrospect, it's been a pretty good year - much better than I figured on at times. All in all, I think my resolutions for 2007 have been the most ass-kicked set of resolutions I have ever had. Not too bad, at all.

I am considering resolutions for 2008, but, I guess, the main concerns are the baby and the dissertation, and keeping Murph here where he is needed. Money and such things are always targets on resolution lists, but they never come close to those things that really matter - family and doing my job.

In sum, I am happy. I want that to continue. That's the main resolution.

I wish you all the best for the New Year!

2 comments:

jamon said...

And all the very best to you three.

Katie said...

happy new year!

Powered By Blogger