Saturday, September 22, 2007

The Politics of Baby Blogging

And I am now back from holiday, yet again. And now the Jewish holy season is done. It was ok this year, but so strange since I opted not to fast for the baby's sake. That's the first time I passed a Yom Kippur without fasting in years.

I have been keeping a blog as a daily record of our baby's development - my meals and exercise and appointments, and such. It's a good tool for me to keep track of things and to keep myself mindful of the baby's needs and stages.

I have also taken to putting a little picture of a fetus at roughly the same level of development as our own on the sidebar, as a way to "watch" the baby grow.

But I have been bugged by something - I can't find any pictures of non-white babies in the womb. What the hell? Are they trying to say that all babies start out white and go on from there? Or do people not think to post fetal pictures of black children? Or, maybe, anti-abortion sites (from whence I get most of my fetal pictures) don't think black children tug at the heart strings as much as "innocent little white babies".

Jeeze. The majority rules, even in reproduction, I guess. It's really annoying and really quite scary.

4 comments:

Catherine said...

Aren't black babies really light-skinned when they're born and then the melanin develops in the first few months?

H. said...

Light, yes, but not as white as these babies. I think they darken, but the skin does have some tone to it at birth. Like a dark orange/taupe.

LaTina said...

you know i've been reading like crazy about all this baby stuff, and at this stage of pregnancy for me (23rd week), all the books say that all the baby's hair is bright white because there isn't any pigment yet. perhaps it's the same with the skin - it's all virtually pigment-less and translucent at this point. i'm thinking that changes in the next few weeks for me, since all the books also say that in the 7th month (after week 26)the baby has a really good chance of being ok if it pops out early.

if you still can't find any photos of non-white babies in the 3rd trimester, that's kinda messed up.

H. said...

Not that I could find.

Powered By Blogger