Well, they say that digestive issues are common in pregnancy, largely due to hormone spikes, metabolism shifts and change in diet. And, man, they ain't kidding. Pregnant ladies, I have now found, either never poop or can't stop pooping. It is one of those little-publicized facts of pregnancy. Really, I think people should bring that up more around Mother's Day, because, man, do I owe my mum something nice, cause this is not fun.
So my current solution? I am starting the BRAT diet, with a few modifications.
The BRAT diet (standing for Bananas, Rice, Apple sauce and Toast) is geared towards stabilizing the digestive track and providing the essentials of life (to which I have added extra juice, water, Gatorade, active-culture yoghurt, cracked wheat crackers and plain tofu), without giving the body any more upsets than necessary. It involves a lot of dry, non-spicy foods, and is sort of like a vacation for the system. I was eating a lot of really tasty, intricate meals that were super rich in fiber and protein - healthy, but a bit much for the system to handle day in and day out, it seems. Now my body needs some rehab.
My plan is to follow this loosely (according to how I feel) throughout the weekend.
So far, so good - I started yesterday evening, and already I feel tons better today. Let's just hope this thing does its work before next Wednesday, when I am scheduled for a 13 hour bus ride to Ohio. That wouldn't be pleasant, otherwise, I guarantee it.

2 comments:
i was forewarned of this via the book 'what to expect when you're expecting', which my doctor thoughtfully provided to me at my first visit. there are also helpful tidbits such as this on their website, www.whattoexpect.com. 'great expectations - your all-in-one resource for pregnancy & childbirth', which was lent to me by a friend, is also pretty handy. nothing sneaks up on you this way. over the last couple of weeks, that whole heartburn thing has started to get pretty bad, and i'm pretty sure it's not diet-related.
my Cheese Baby and I sympathize...
Post a Comment