Sunday, August 14, 2005

The Move, Part II: “My TV is Gone!”

Friday, August 5, 2005.

Episode X: I Wish I Were Dead.

Woke up at 6am again, and I feel like I just got into bed. Correction, I feel like I just got out of a sack full of rocks going over Niagara Falls. My back hurts, I think I may have broken a thumb, and both of my legs are covered in nasty purple bruises. On top of that, I have to face another day of moving stuff to Waterloo. Yesterday we took the books and the big stuff. Today we truck our TV, DVD player, computer and other breakable stuff.

Another day of moving means another day of being bossed around like a slightly retarded four-year-old, as well. John and his dad are great guys. His father is helping us immensely, and I love John to death. However, they are both very bossy and pig headed guys when pushed, and they sure do know how to push each other. Thus, in the middle, I am the precious and idiotic female who follows orders and tries to cool tempers. Well, what if my temper is about to blow? What happens then? No body ever worries about pissing off a stubby chick with dimples, do they?

Episode XI: On the Road Again.

Well, we are now back on the 8 to Waterloo, again, and yet again, we have no idea where in the hell we are. Why no one remembers is beyond me. However, as I am still on the floor, I refuse to help. Suck on that.

Episode XII: Futon Envy.

I had no idea furniture was so ff’ing expensive! Does that mean that every one of my friends with a couch had to chose between that and like 20 DVDs??? And they chose a futon!!??!! I, on the other hand, will not. It’s extortion, and I refuse to participate.

Plus, as we all have absolutely no desire to be in each other’s company a moment longer, I do not want to spend time driving around, bitching about a map, comparison shopping. John and I will go to the Sally Ann in September and get whatever costs less than $100. Otherwise, we will wait until Canadian Tire puts their park benches on sale and get one of those.

We did, however, buy two lawn chairs through which we shall be able to thumb our noses at the fat cat futon industry, and hold out until I get something cheap. My ass does not need $300 spent on it. That’s just insane.

Episode XIII: Mooching for Fun and Profit.

Well, despite my better instincts, John has taken his dad up on the offer of a free first load of groceries. For my part, I’d rather go home and die. However, John is right. A thirty-gallon jug of laundry detergent paid for and delivered by a loved one is too good to pass up.

Episode XIV: The Last Goodbye.

Despite the fact that we are all so on each other’s nerves that an explosion or core meltdown is inevitable, we had a very touching moment when John’s dad headed back for home tonight. We had to drive down the street to do it, as our down stairs neighbour (who also happens to be my thesis advisor from my MA) came home just as we did, and I didn’t want that over my shoulder as we said good bye. John’s dad gave us a handout (one of my favourite parts), a hug (which was nice as well), and said good bye.

Despite the poor communication of the last several days, I’d still change dads with John in a heartbeat.

Epilogue: “I’ve Been Robbed!”

So now we live in an empty apartment, and everything except a clock radio, lap top (with no internet, but a handful of CDs) and a suitcase of clothes are gone to Waterloo. And, oh yes, the air mattress. We can’t forget that, can we?

It’s gonna be a long couple of weeks.

No comments:

Powered By Blogger