
Ok, let's pretend I have money and could actually afford to go to a movie. What of this summer's crop would appeal to me and which ones leave me cold?
Looking Forward To (with only mild reservations):
Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix
- I know the last one was a lot less than great, but I still hold out hope. Opens 11 July 2007.
The Simpsons Movie
- Yes, as likely to be as good as the classic episodes as Homer is of winning a Nobel, but it might prove to be amusing. Opens 27 July 2007.
Talk to Me
- There seems like a lot less public anticipation for this one than the others I have mentioned here, but it seems more worth it in the end. Opens 3 August 2007.
WAS Looking Forward To (Before I was Warned Off):
Knocked Up
- I was pretty psyched for this one; the same team that made 40 Year Old Virgin, which was one of the coolest gut-busters in years, and staring Seth Rogan, who seems to be quite a well of potential. Nevertheless, I have it from good sources that it is, nonetheless, wretched. However, a lot of critics gave it good reviews, and the theater might be air conditioned, so perhaps it might still be worth a view at some point. My ardour is just a bit dampened now. Opened 1 June 2007.
Who On Earth Would Pay for This????:
Evan Almighty
- "Good Lord" is all I can say about this. What was an ok premise on the first go around has now come around for a steaming pile of bloated seconds. Yum. (Though, really, with a budget of $135 mil, I bet the producers are hoping someone will pay to see it... and bring a million friends.) Opened 22 June 2007.
Enjoyed:
Waitress
- While technically not really a "summer movie" (it was released in May), this is still a sure bet if it is still playing around your town. Bright, modern, and witty, this is a great film - sure to be one of the year's best, and I would not be surprized to see Oscar kudos (particularly in light of the young, female director's untimely demise last fall). Catch it while you can - you won't be disappointed. Opened 25 May 2007.

1 comment:
I feel a little bad warning you off Knocked Up, but the longer it's been since I've seen it, the more I dislike it. I know some people who have enjoyed it, though, so maybe if you've got some extra pocket change, give it a go.
Post a Comment