Monday, November 03, 2008

Why I Care About the American Election


I have a lot of verve for the 2008 US Election. I am not an American. Still, I am participating in select Internet activities to try to mobilize the American voters for Barack Obama, my preferred candidate.

At first, I didn't feel right publicly expressing an opinion on this election, even though having a basic private opinion was unavoidable. I wondered if it was wrong of me to interfere at all with the American democratic process, even though my opinion is not likely to have much impact. After all, non-Canadians rarely have much direct sway in Canadian elections (Michael Moore aside), so we enjoy, on the surface, a fairly sovereign right to choose - except for, of course, the hours and hours of entertainment, news and other media source exposure we receive from the United States, the impact of which is largely incalculable.

So, why then do I feel I have the right to speak in the American election?

Firstly, I guess I can point to the concrete practical situation I am currently in - my husband, an American, lives in the US, and my son, though born in Canada, is half American, and who knows where we will end up as life progresses? The bottom line, though, is that I want America to be a nation my son can be proud of, and I believe Sen. Obama is a better road to that than is Sen. McCain.

Secondly, I am a democrat, and, this, I feel, is an ideological leaning that knows no specific borders. As a democrat, I support the NDP at home, and am friendly to the democrats world wide, as we share a common vision. It is possible that a democrat in Maine has more in common with me than a Conservative in Alberta, and I shouldn't pretend that is not so.

Finally, I am a citizen of the world. I don't take this lightly; this was the line that got Chaplin deported, after all. Being a citizen of the world means that I have not only the right but the obligation to consider the well being of the global community. It also means I should raise my voice when I have an opinion about world politics. Honestly, none of us can deny that he/she who rules the USA has a significant impact on all our lives, whether we like it or not. We are in bed with an elephant, so we have to watch which way it rolls, no?

In the end, my voice will likely not mean anything. I cannot vote in the American elections, as that is the sole privilege of the citizens of that potentially-fine country. However, I see no harm in, most importantly, urging them to exercise that vote, and, secondly, saying, for what it is worth, I prefer Obama.

American or not, we are witnessing History. None of us will be completely unaffected by the results of November 4th, so I cannot say I find any real reason why we shouldn't speak up.

I only hope Americans realize how much all of us depend on their judgement.

No comments:

Powered By Blogger